(Retrospective post for 5th December 2016)
It has been no great surprise that taking an engine out of a boat for probably the first time in nearly 50 years would result in the need to do other work.
For example, when the engine room roof was lifted off, some of the corrosion we knew it had proved to have been addressed by the use of body filler. Also there was enough corrosion damage to some of the bolt on brackets involved, that the engine room doors could not be shut properly. As a result, Brinklow Boat Services grafted on a new end to the roof, replaced the brackets with newly made copies of the original, and built up the cabin sides where the corrosion had eaten away parts of them.
Whilst we were getting holes filled, we also got them to blank off where the previous owner had fitted the flue for a particularly inappropriate diesel boiler, and which until this point I had simply bolted a blanking plate over, (the first of many holes ultimately welded up).
"Flamingo" also had some air ducting running down the inside of the front of the engine room bulkhead, and allied to a grill on the front of the engine room, and a highly amusing construction with a mushroom vent on the roof. This probably dated back to Willow Wren days when the air cooled Lister HA2 engine was first installed in lieu of a water cooled one, and the idea seemed to be to pipe cool air from outside down to below the floor. All agreed it wasn't doing anything useful, and as part of it was rusted through already, and further destroyed by taking the roof off, we decided to remove it. I was easily able to take the bits out, but needed the skills of the welders to block up the resulting holes - both in the front of the engine room, and another in the roof, (three holes filled so far).
|Ducting removed (plus new floor - see later)|
More than than just repairing steel-work and filling holes though, several things have been very unsatisfactory since we bought "Flamingo", and it was always known that at some stage time, effort, (and money!), would need to be thrown at them.
In no particular order......
|Old gear rodding, (the round pipe with a kink in).|
(The accompanying picture here is an old one, and features several things changed some time ago, including removal of the large diesel header tank that used to feed the now removed diesel boiler, and also the removal of a heat exchanger on the exhaust that was supposed to heat water, but apparently didn't really manage to!).
|This part had previously been modified, but did not solve the travel issue.|
|Old push-pull in "neutral"|
|New gear linkages - gearbox end.|
|New gearbox linkages - push-pull rotates the vertical bar going down to the box.|
|The new control, at the steerer end..|
|Old exhaust position - preventing opening half the pigeon box.|
|Relocated exhaust outlet.|
|The now removed Lister hand control.|
|A much more sensible rod now connects directly to engine.|
When we made the above decision, we failed to spot that the Lister control was an intrinsic part of what supported a control panel on the engine, containing things like ammeter, oil pressure gauge, and (most critically!) the engine "start" button. That control panel could not easily be retained. We were happy to lose the ammeter, the oil pressure gauge was already a duplicate to a more useful one on top of the engine room roof, but the "start" button would necessitate quite a bit of change elsewhere, including to wiring, to relocate it remote from the engine.
|Hose that was removed, (also shows hole since filled where duct came out).|
|Filled hole for external fuel inlet.|
|This bit of the old floor was not the proper material anyway.|
(The new floor appears in the picture above that shows how the speed control linkage now looks).
This brings us to the end of the work largely carried out by the professionals, and moves us on to the stuff I feel able and competent to do myself.
|Old cable runs and wall mounted panel|
|Inside of "colour changing" box, now removed.|
|Unwanted boxes and joins removed, and new solid conduit installed.|
|Reworked remote panel with starter switch and new gauge.|
|Some of the old master switch cabling|
|Moved switch and heavier cabling.|
|Trial fit to alternator and starter - still to be tidied up, but better already.|